Sunday, October 26, 2008

And the winner is.......











I was totally surprised and ecstatic at how much the pumpkins weighed. The small one weighed in at 51.5 pounds and the large one at 88.5 pounds. My scales only weigh in 1/2 pound increments. There were 22 entries and the winner is Orlando with a guess of 40 for #1 and 100 for #2. She was only 23 pounds off the total weight. Orlando is a computer friend of Janelle's that lives in Conneticut, and NO Janelle did not help her. Cherie came in second with a guess of 126. I have to admit, I laughed when Cherie sent her guess in. I was thinking, no way, it would be totally cool, but no way. I grew 140 pounds in two pumpkins and that doesn't even have the 7 small ones I grew. Watch out next year. I've been reading about growing pumpkins and how you need to water twice a day and all the great fertilizer. Next year I'm going for the largest in Sussex County. This year the winner had a 600 pound pumpkin. I would be delighted with half that weight!!! Thanks to all who entered and Have a Happy Halloween. Thought........what do you do with 140 pounds of pumpkin.........Penny said I should can it!!!!!! She left too early for that to happen. One thing for sure, they will not be carved!!!!

4 comments:

Leslie Ewell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie Ewell said...

Robbie will be so disappointed-who would have thought they would be so big! Thanks for letting us guess!

Becky said...

WOW!! That's amazing Joni! What kind of seeds did you start with? I was WAAAY off!! If you would've bought those at Anderson Farm stand at .53 a lb you would've spend $100 on pumpkins!!!!

Mark Guzik said...

Joni, I am very impressed! Those are giganitc pumpkins... Just think of how many pumpkin pies and pumpkin cupcakes you can make.
Regards,
Mark