Sunday, October 31, 2010

3rd Annual Pumpkin Weight Contest

Look closely....I think that is pumpkin juice on his lips!!!!!
In anticipation of growing the biggest pumpkin this year, I lovingly started my pumpkin seeds in early april. I had Jack be Littles, Cinderalla, carvers, and of course the BIG MAX for the 3rd annual contest this year. I had so many pumpkin plants I filled every dirt spot I had around the house. I planted over 26 pumpkin plants in hopes of a record year of growing pumpkins. I had so many plants I gave them to neighbors, friends, church members....anyone who would take one and promise to plant them. They were growing well and I lost a few plants to rabbits, deer, and who knows what else. But never fear, I had several plants to replace those eaten. When we headed to Italy and Greece in late July I had a fairly good number of pumpkins growing. I hired the neighbor kids down the street who so lovingly took care of my garden last year. Well lets just say that when I got home from vacation.....EGADS!!!!!!!!! All the plants were eaten except for 3 pumpkins. No problem.....I will concentrate on those 3 and we will have the biggest pumpkin ever. Well would you believe the very next morning I woke up to this...........

My mom comes by her green thumb from her father who loved planting a huge garden every year. Mick and I when we were first married canned beans, tomatoes, and corn from his garden when Mick was going to school. Here is some of the beautiful flowers she had this year. When I was having such a terrible time with the deer eating my pumpkins I convinced her to plant some pumpkin seeds at the lakehouse. She started them the end of June and got a very large and fun crop.





Here it is the biggest of the many pumpkins my mom grew this year. This is the pumpkin for the contest this year. You can post your guess on this blog or e-mail me at mjjgjward@roadrunner.com by friday Nov 5th. Good luck. I have several candy bars, all Mars of course. Even have the new coconut Twix, coconut M&M's, pretzel M&M's etc.





Good Luck and Happy Halloween!!!










7 comments:

Nicole said...

Coconut twix!!!

The Kirby's said...

Todd guesses 57 pounds.
Anna guesses 63 pounds.
Nate guesses 59 pounds.

Leslie Ewell said...

The Ewell's guess 78.3 pounds. Robbie says 100 pounds.

Karen said...

I guess 82 lbs. just because!
sorry that your patch got eaten up--those are some hungry deer in your area!!
Or, have you looked on your neighbors porches lately? just asking.

Emily Rosell said...

68 lbs bABY!
carly guesses 78

The Kirby's said...

We received our REWARD today! It was delicious. We give 2 thumbs up for peanut butter SNICKERS. And 8 thumbs up for COCONUT TWIX. I didn't know they could improve on my favorite, but they did. You should have more contests!! Posted on the Harmer Accident blog...

harmerhouse said...

Loved your pumpkin growing story. Sorry I was too late to guess. We miss seeing you. One of us will have to make a trip.
Karyn