Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh what do you do in the Winter Time?

Last week we got about three inches of snow in two different snowstorms. Janelle and I went out each morning to clear the driveway before we ran our errands so we wouldn't have icy tire tracks on the driveway. I hate those. Well as you can see our driveway is really loooooooooooong. The bummer was that by the time we got home from errands all the driveways in the neighborhood were clear, even those that didn't shovel one flake. So when the big storm hit tuesday night on my drive home from work, I thought to myself.....self, don't shovel that drive until you know it is worth it. Well as you can see from the next picture I waited until we had 5 inches and had to do it 3 times before the storm was done. Thank goodness last night our landlord loaned us his snowblower so we could get the 10 inches cleared.


Here I am in the middle of the storm around noon trying to get the driveway cleared. By noon we had 5 inches. After one pass down the driveway and back and I gave up. By the time I came back up the drive, there was already an inch where I had shoveled.



















This is the cute neighbor kids who came over yesterday afternoon and asked if I wanted to help build a snowfort and have a snowball fight. They said they wouldn't hit me in the face, just right here they said as they pounded on their chest. Did I go out? You betcha. Went straightway and got my snow boots and coat on for the 3rd time that day. Jersey snow doesn't pack very well so our fort was not huge, but they loved it. I would love to build a snowman, but the snow will not pack to do so.




I love how this picture shows how deep the snow gets after the plow has come through. I was shoveling the snow this morning on the driveway, once again, when I heard the plow coming down the road. I promptly went out to the edge of our driveway and started waving my shovel at him to stop. Did he? No!! He plowed right through piling the snow 2 feet deep at the end of the driveway. Your killing me I yelled. He went to the end of the block, you can see the stop sign way off in the distance, turned around and came back to talk to me. I told him he was killing me by plowing all that snow at the end of my driveway. "How much to clear it so I can get the car out?" Plow guy: "Sorry mam but I would get fired if I did that. Instant dismissal for plowing driveways." Joni: "Well I can appreciate how great you keep the roads cleared, but I hate this mess." Plow guy: "OK how about next time I come down I swerve away from your driveway and try to help you out?" Me: "I would love that!!!! I am a California girl here on a temporary assignment and need all the help you can give me." So next time he comes down he swerves away from the driveway. I give him a thank you wave and he gives me a smile. Gotta love those guys!
















Here's the house the day after the storm. You can see the pile of snow the snowplow left for me to clear from the end of the driveway.







Doesn't get much prettier than this. Not a footprint in the snow. Even the deer were not out last night. The birds were busy this morning though in the birdbath. Picture was taken from my office desk.

3 comments:

Karen said...

so the storm finally hit you guys--

WOW--
what a memory that will be while you are "sunning" in California in a few months--
or, are you extending your mission?
I hear a lot do!!

The Kirby's said...

I love the story with the snow plow man. Classic.

Emily Rosell said...

LOL. i'm dying you are best friends with the snowplow man and the kids next door. It looks so fun except the snow shoveling part!